The market has grown tremendously due to the rapid industrialization leading to a reduction of arable soil and fertile land for agriculture. Our market analysis indicate that the global nematicides industry was estimated at USD 1,230.25 million in 2016 and is expected to increase at a CAGR of 4.56% during the forecast period, 2017-2022, indicating high adoption rates of nematicide products in agriculture in the coming years.
The nematicides market is gaining momentum due to better maintenance of soil health to achieve the required crop yield and also the emergence of the South American and APAC countries as major contributors towards the growth of the overall nematicides market. The market is driven by factors such as high demand for bio-nematicide products, due to governmental support encouraging the development of bionematicides as an alternative to conventional synthetic pesticides, and organizations promoting the integrated pest management techniques.
Growing industrialization that has led to a reduction in arable land is expected to drive the market for nematicides. Due to industrial development, the total arable land across the globe has decreased; therefore, the demand for high yielding crops has increased to fulfil the food requirements. In addition, increasing population leading to high food demand is expected to fuel the market growth. Further, demand for bio-based nematicides is expected to boost the market. Due to environmental hazards of synthetic nematicides, the governments are promoting the use of bionematicides. The other factor stimulating the growth of the market is the promotion of integrated pest management techniques by leading organizations.
While the market is expected to see a potential growth, developing countries are witnessing faster demand for nematicides, and this creates an opportunity for the global nematicides market.
The nematicides classification for the market can be done by product type into fumigant, organophosphate, carbamate, and bionematicides. Fumigants form the largest market segment with nearly 45% of the market share, followed by carbamates, organophosphates and bionematicides. By application, the market is further divided into crop-based and non-crop-based nematicides. Among these two nematicides, the crop-based segment occupies a larger market share. Crop-based nematicides are further segmented into grains & cereals, oil seeds and fruits & vegetables and, the non-crop-based nematicides are segmented into turf and ornamentals and other non-crop-based nematicides. The use of nematicides for fruits & vegetables is the highest among all sub-categories, followed by turf and ornamentals.
The market is also segmented based on formulation into gas, liquid, granular or emulsifiable liquid. Among these, liquid-based nematicides hold a major share of the nematicides market. By geography, the global market for nematicides is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America and Africa. The market is further segmented by country. Asia-Pacific, the largest producer of fruits & vegetables, is likely to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period of 2017-2022. Currently, North America and Europe are the largest nematicides markets, with more than 60% of the market share. It is expected that pesticides’ ban and market saturation would limit the market expansion in the European and North American region.
Major companies in the sector include:
- Sumitomo Chemical
Recent Industry Insights
- Marrone Bio Innovations has launched a new product MAJESTENE™ Bio nematicide in the year 2016, which is broad-spectrum, high- performance natural bionematicide for controlling multiple nematodes (in a wide-range of crops).
- FMC launched Rugby 200 CS nematicide/insecticide for soybeans in June 2014
- Valent Biosciences Corp, which is a subsidiary of Sumitomo Chemicals, acquired Mycorrhizal Applications LLC, a U.S based producer of mycorrhizal fungal inoculum in March 2015.
Key Deliverables in the Study
- Global, regional and country-level analysis, along with forecasts of the study market.
- Study of the effect of exogenous & endogenous factors, viz. demographic, economics, and political factors, among others, which affect the global market.
- Porter’s five forces framework incorporating the factors influencing each force to determine the intensity of competition.
- Segment and sub-segment level analysis of the market over the review and forecast period.
- Identification of key factors instrumental in changing the market scenario, exploiting new opportunities and gaining a competitive edge.
- SWOT analysis for key players and a detailed study of their current strategic interests and key financial performance indicators.
The report holds importance for the following stakeholders-
- Producers and manufacturers
- Agricultural input companies
- Enterprises operating in the industry
- Traders and stakeholders operating in the sector
- Investors/research institutions interested in the market
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definitions
2. REACRCH APPROACH AND METHODOLOGY
2.2 Research Design
2.3 Study Timeline
2.4 Study Phases
2.4.1 Secondary Research
2.4.2 Discussion Guide
2.4.3 Market Engineering & Econometric Modelling
2.4.4 Expert Validation
3. KEY FINDINGS OF THE STUDY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.1.1 High-Demand of Bio-Based Nematicides
4.1.2 Growing Food Demand and Shrinking Land
4.1.3 Organizations Promoting Integrated Pest Management Techniques
4.2.1 Major Regions Facing Pesticides’ Ban
4.2.2 Burgeoning Research and Development Costs
4.2.3 Low Per Capita Use of Pesticides in Several Regions
4.2.4 Growing Demand for Food Safety and Quality
4.3.1 Growing Awareness and Demand for Organic Food Products
4.3.2 Developing Regions Witnessing Faster Demand
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 MARKET SEGMENTATION, BY CHEMICAL TYPE
5.1.4 Bio-Based Nematicides
5.2 MARKET SEGMENTATION, BY APPLICATION TYPE
5.2.1 Crop-Based Nematicides
126.96.36.199 Grains and Cereals Nematicides
188.8.131.52 Oilseed-Based Nematicides
184.108.40.206 Fruits & Vegetables-Based Nematicides
5.2.2 Non-Crop-Based Nematicides
220.127.116.11 Turf & Ornamentals-Based Nematicides
18.104.22.168 Other Non-Crop-Based Nematicides
5.3 MARKET SEGMENTATION, BY GEOGRAPHY
5.3.1 NORTH AMERICA
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
5.3.4 SOUTH AMERICA
188.8.131.52 South Africa
5.4 Market Segmentation, by Formulation
5.4.3 Granular or Emulsifiable Liquid
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.2 Major Strategies Adapted by Global Players
6.3 Most Active Five Companies by Market Strategies
6.4 Top Five Companies by Financials
7. KEY COMPANY PROFILES
7.1 UPL LIMITED
7.2 AMERICAN VANGUARD CORPORATON
7.3 BASF SE
7.4 BAYER CROPSCIENCE
7.5 BIOWORKS INCORPORATED
7.6 DOW CHEMCIAL COMPANY
7.8 FMC CORPORATION (UNITED STATES)
7.9 ISAGRO GROUP SPA
7.10 MARRONE BIO INNOVATIONS INC
7.11 MONSANTO COMPANY
7.12 NUFARM LTD
7.13 SYNGENTA INTERNATIONAL AG (SWIZERLAND)
7.14 SUMITOMO CHEMICAL